Origin: The exquisite Hoya lucardenasiana hails from the tropical landscapes of Luzon, the largest and most populous island in the Philippines. This unique hoya was discovered in 2007 by the dedicated botanists Siar and Cajano and was later published in 2009. Named in honor of Lourdes B. Cardenas, the former head of the Museum of Natural History at UPLB, this plant carries with it a rich history and a tribute to botanical exploration.
Description: Hoya lucardenasiana boasts vibrant green leaves and, when in bloom, produces stunning flowers that are a testament to its tropical heritage. With a relatively thick stem, this hoya stands out as a robust and resilient specimen, making it a prized addition to any plant collection.
- Light: Prefers bright, indirect sunlight. Avoid direct rays that can scorch its leaves.
- Temperature: Thrives in warm conditions, ideally between 60°F (15°C) and 85°F (29°C).
- Humidity: Emulating its native tropical environment, this hoya loves high humidity. Consider using a humidifier or a pebble tray with water to maintain moisture levels. However, the plant will do just fine with low humidity if you cannot provide it.
- Watering: Wait until the top inch of the medium is dry before watering. Ensure the pot provides adequate drainage.
- Soil: Opt for a well-draining potting mix, such as coco husk and coco coir mix.
- Fertilization: Feed with a balanced liquid fertilizer every 2-4 weeks during the growing season.
- Support: Given its sturdy stem, this hoya benefits from added support, ensuring it grows tall and strong.
- Pests: Keep an eye out for common pests and treat with insecticidal soap or neem oil if needed.
Special Note: Hoya lucardenasiana is not just a plant; it's a piece of botanical history. Its discovery and naming pay homage to the rich biodiversity of the Philippines and the dedicated individuals who explore and document it. When you bring home this hoya, you're not just adding to your plant collection; you're becoming a part of a story that spans continents, cultures, and centuries.
- Low stock - 9 items left
- Inventory on the way